- Make a list and be ruthless. Charles Rickards, director of Aussie Man & Van, says: ‘There is no point lugging every item you own up to your halls of residence. With many universities insisting you move out for the holidays, you’ll only have to take it home again in a few months’ time. Think about what you need to take and leave the clutter at home.’
- Pack carefully. Use packing boxes and label them so you know what’s in them. Mr Rickards cautions: ‘It may be tempting to chuck everything in the back of the car at the last minute rather than pack properly but this will be haphazard and you’re more likely to forget or break something. It will also take longer.’
- Leave plenty of time to do your packing. Leave it until the last minute and you will forget vital items, which will then need to be sent on to you, or if they’re bulky, you may have to do without them. If you are packing with an eye on the clock, the process will be far more stressful than it needs to be.
- Pay attention to valuables. Use bubble wrap to protect them although it’s worth considering how many valuables you really want to take with you.
- Back up your computer so you can access your data via someone else’s computer, if necessary.
- Wash clothes and clean all items. The last thing you want to be doing when you unpack is have to clean and launder items. Get it all done in advance before you do your packing.
- While you’re going through your items, check your insurance. Many students are covered on their parents’ household insurance but it’s worth checking and taking out some specialist student insurance if you’re not.
- Book a removals firm if you need one. Many students rely on parents to help them move but this may not be possible. Charles Rickards explains: ‘A good removals firm will be experienced at moving students, know where to drop your bags on campus and give advice on packing and moving. Give as much notice as possible as they can get booked up.’
Notes to editors:
Aussie Man & Van (www.aussiegroup.co.uk) is a man and van removals business based in south London. It handles more than 200 moves a week, from individuals to large companies. It offers a Student Removals service, which includes:
- Top quality packing boxes, labels and tape.
- Checklists and plentiful advice to help with the move.
- Complete service, including expert packing of your goods or door-to-door transport of your belongings if you prefer to do your own packing.
- Full insurance to make sure all your belongings are safe in any event.
- Delivery to the correct area on a particular campus – the last thing you want is to find that your bags are waiting at the wrong hall of residence.